ADVANCED TYPOGRAPHY TASK 3: Type Exploration and Application

ADVANCED TYPOGRAPHY TASK 3: Type Exploration and Application
-

16.10.23 - 01.12.23 week 8 - week 12

CHEN NAN 0363533/Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media


LECTURE

Please refer Task 1

INSTRUCTION

Figure 1.1 MIB

Type Exploration and Application

This task requires the experience and knowledge gained through the previous exercises, combined with the software and reading I have learned, to complete this task. You can design your own font, continue to explore an existing font or experiment with a font.

1.0 RESEARCH

Proposal

After Mr. Vinod demonstration case, I had some ideas, so I thought of several schemes and had a preliminary idea of my task 3.

Fig. 1.1 presentation (22.10.23)

I need to choose an idea to finish, and I chose Witcher, because I wanted to expand and explore the font for the title of my favorite game.

Fig. 1.2 Chosen idea (02.11.23)

I like playing games very much. This is one of my favorite games. Its poster only has a font designed for the title. I want to explore and design more letters according to its title font. Through its title, I found that its letter shapes were irregular with spikes, which was very impactful for the poster, so I wanted to imitate it and create more letters.

2. Sketches

I began to look for the characteristics of the font to paint the draft. I imitated its font and changed the font into a strange shape, and added spikes to change the original model of the font.

Fig. 2.1 Sketches (02.11.23)

3.Digitisation and Exploration

After I finished the sketch, I started to draw inside the AI, I used the pen tool to present each letter, and I specified the height and width of each letter. After I finished each letter, I used the "Direct selection" tool to show the characteristics of each letter.



Fig. 3.1 Sketches (09.11.23)



In class, Mr. Viond gave me feedback that the direction of font design was wrong, I should follow the title of the game poster to imitate the design, and my font was wrong. Mr. Viond gave me some examples.

Fig. 3.2 Example (09.11.23)
modification

After the revision, I realized that each of my fonts is different, and I need to unify the edges, thickness, height, and features of all the letters.



Fig. 3.3 modification (16.11.23)

4.Final Outcome

When I finished it, I adjusted the height of the uppercase letters, the corresponding height of the lowercase letters, and finished the numbers and symbols according to the standards of other fonts.

Fig. 4.1 Final Fig. 3.3 modification (16.11.23)

5.FONTLAB

After making it in the AI software, I started importing each letter into Fontlab. I was very careful to import each letter, but there was still a problem, my font size was not balanced, so with Mr. Vind's help, I adjusted the font size and successfully imported each letter.


Fig. 5.1 Fontlab (22.11.23)

After importing, I began to adjust the details between each letter. Mr. Viond gave a chart of the spacing sizes between the letters, and I carefully adjusted the data and referred to the spacing chart.


Fig. 5.2 Fontlab (22.11.23)


6.Font Showcase

When displaying fonts, I used black and white color in the first picture to make the picture look simple. At the same time, I enlarged the letters so as to highlight my letters more. I also placed lowercase letters to contrast with large letters to make the picture jump more. For chapter 2, I used a red background and then chose a white font. Again, I did this to make the font more striking. The font screen was both enlarged and reduced to show the letters. In the third chapter of the picture, I used a symmetrical composition, so that the picture is clean and can better display the font. In the fourth picture, I chose to use different colors to display my picture and fonts, typesetting and displaying three sizes of fonts.

Fig. 6.1 Font Showcase (22.11.23)



Fig. 6.2 Font Showcase (22.11.23)
 
Fig. 6.3 Font Showcase (22.11.23)

Fig. 6.4 Font Showcase (22.11.23)

Fig. 6.5 Font Showcase (22.11.23)

7.Applications

I made a floor plan for each application, during the production process, I found that I did not display my fonts well and deviated from my original meaning, so I enlarged the font of all the images and made it a theme, so that my fonts were displayed. I used my fonts on the perimeter of the game, and it was fascinating, and it made me very happy.


Fig. 7.1 Plane graph (28.11.23)


Fig. 7.2 Plane graph (28.11.23)

Fig. 7.3 Plane graph (28.11.23)

Fig. 7.4 Plane graph (28.11.23)

I put the floor plan into the application I wanted to make, which was a game card, controller, mousepad, outdoor advertising.


Fig. 7.5 Applications (28.11.23)

Fig. 7.6 Applications (28.11.23)

Fig. 7.7 Applications (28.11.23)

Fig. 7.8 Applications (28.11.23)

Fig. 7.9 Applications (28.11.23)



8.FINAL 
Type Exploration and Application

FONT 

Font Link:

Fig. 8.1 Font (28.11.23)


Finalize Typeface "Witcher"

Fig. 8.2 Font (28.11.23)

Application

Fig. 8.3  Outdoor advertising application (28.11.23)

Fig. 8.4  Controller application (28.11.23)

Fig. 8.5  Keyboard application (28.11.23)

Fig. 8.6 Mouse pad application (28.11.23)

Fig. 8.7 Game card application (28.11.23)


Font Showcase

Fig. 8.8 Font Showcase (28.11.23)

Fig. 8.9 Font Showcase (28.11.23)

Fig. 8.10 Font Showcase (28.11.23)

Fig. 8.11 Font Showcase (28.11.23)


PDF

Fig. 8.12 PDF (28.11.23)

Fig. 8.13 PDF (28.11.23)

Feedback

WEEK 13 
Specific Feedback:The layout of font display 3 should add some other fonts to form a contrast. The layout of font display 4 is too messy. Put the large letters neatly. The font for "Application" doesn't show up. The letters are too small. 

week 12 
Specific Feedback:Adjust the size and spacing in fontlab, with equal letter sizes.

week 11 
pecific Feedback:Each letter shape should be the same size, the same height, the numbers should be the same size as the letters, and the punctuation needs to be redone.

 week 10 
General Feedback:The font doesn't make sense, I should just follow the example and finish it.

Specific Feedback:Follow the example, use squares to normalize the letters, shape features to be the same. 

Week 9 
General Feedback:After reading my idea, Mr. Wang thought that the first idea I chose could be continued, but the font itself did not need to be changed, so he could appropriately adjust the font of the poster and continue to finish it. 

Specific Feedback:During the design process, turning the grid out allows more fine-tuning of the details of each letter.


Reflection

Experience

The difficult part of this task was how to make the font. I didn't have a good idea at the beginning, I wanted to redesign the font for the game, but obviously the original font was better. So I decided to continue to explore this font, and with the help of Mr. Viond, I discovered the characteristics of his font to complete the task.

Observation

When using AI software, I always accidentally adjust the size of the letters, so that the size of the letters are not the same, and all the letters are made high and low and the size is regulated. As you complete each phase, you should save a backup of that phase for future use. My "lines" were not saved, and during post-production, there was a problem with the letters that made it difficult for me to change my font. Anyway, I still managed to finish the font.

Findings

At the beginning of the production, I found that the exploration of fonts was not an easy thing, and it required me to have a lot of experience and knowledge about fonts to complete it, not to rely on simple and random ideas. But during the production process, if you grasp the characteristics of the font and the idea that has matured, then it will become easier.

Further reading

Fig. 1.1 Typographic design

Typographic design from and communication, this book introduces visual vocabulary. Typographic design can convey more information than text itself. After reading this book, I can have a better understanding of the feelings, associations and communication of information.

This book mainly introduces the principles of typography design, discusses the core concepts of typography design, font selection, arrangement, layout, etc. Some fonts and forms, about the principles of font design, the characteristics and uses of different fonts. Visual communication: how to convey information, create visual layers and attract readers' attention through typographic design. Information design, the effective organization and presentation of information, including the use of headings, paragraphs, colors and other elements. It contains a wealth of examples, design tips and designer insights to help readers understand and apply the importance and application of typographic design in communication.







评论

此博客中的热门博文

Typography (Week 1-Week 5) Task 1 (Exercise)

Design Research Methodology - Final Compilation and Reflection